Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Thread of Jacob


You like it? I did it myself. It takes a very long time when you're making the thread, but, uh... I suppose that's the point, isn't it?

Making the thread; (verb) to pass continuously through the whole course of (something); pervade. As in, Jacob created a thread that brought the survivors together. As in, Jacob is using long loose stitches to hold his fabric together. In sewing we call it basting. Often, when a seamstress is creating gathers in a garment, she will baste the fabric then pull the threads to draw the extra material into folds.

I see each of Jacob's touches as one stitch in the basting process that creates a common thread that runs through our Losties. In season six, we will see how the thread is pulled to gather them all into one place.
It took years for Jacob to touch each of our survivors lives. Kate and Sawyer when they were quite young. Jack, John, Sun and Jin when they were adults. Six visits were prior to the crash. Which tells me that Jacob had hand picked them for the island very early in his quest to set into motion his plan to counter AJ's loophole.

Hurley and Sayid were visited after they were rescued from the island. I'm not sure of the significance of this yet, but I do know that both were reluctant to lie about their ordeal and neither really wanted to return to the island. That is, until Jacob visited Hurley in the taxi the day before Ajira 316 and, I'm assuming here, he had Illana convince Sayid that he was going to Guam.

Each of our survivors at some point of in their lives have felt the touch of a being older than most countries. They have a common thread that runs through them and it guides and protects them. It will help them to remember the people they were, who they have become and what they've learned along the way.
We can assume, for now, that Jacob touched Ben when he was young and nearly dead from the gun shot wound inflicted by Sayid. This could be significant to the success of Jacob's plan. I've stated that I believe that Ben was the loophole AJ had been looking for.
A single thread is unremarkable when standing alone, weak and easily broken. But when skillfully woven together, all the threads become one and exponentially grow in strength, difficult to break. This will be important in the coming season as I believe each of our Losties will need to come together and unite their different strengths. Kind of gives new meaning to "If we can't live together, then we'll die alone" doesn't it?
In season one this was meant as a way to get the survivors to work together, find something they were good at and do it for the good of everyone. In season six, it could mean exactly the same thing. Jack, Kate, Hurley, Saywer, Sun, Jin and possibly Sayid will need to figure out what their strengths are and how they can combine them to win the fight of their lives for the good of everyone.
I believe the thread Jacob has created will pull his people together, much the same way a thread is used to create gathers in a garment, for without the thread, the garment falls apart.
I know this thought does not bode well for our Ghost Whisperer and our fertility doctor, but I am hopeful that Jacob visited them at some point in their lives. As I've said before, I just can't believe that Miles' story could be over. There is so much more we need to learn about this man. The same can be said for Juliet, for I can't bring myself to accept her fall down the shaft and the brilliant white light ending.
What do you think? Could Jacob's touch be some sort of invisible cord that will draw the Losites to where they need to be?
What will happen when they arrive at their destination? How will they arrive in 2007? And for that matter, will they go directly to 2007 or will they flash through time in much the same way as some did in the beginning of season 5?
With every thought I have I come up with at least ten questions. I'm going to have to start carrying a clipboard around with me to record them!

No comments:

Post a Comment