Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Jug Head

I'm not going to go into a deep analogy of the hydrogen bomb. The only thing I know hydrogen bombs is that they go boom and cause a great deal of death and destruction. I'm not even going to try to relate it to the classic comic character from the Archie series. I read one or two issues when I was a teen, but that's about it. I just want to clarify something and either be wrong or right.

I think that Daniel's plan has merit and could, to a small degree, work. However, he has failed to take into account other variables. By variables, I mean other people's actions. Let's first deal with the plan, then I'll talk about what I think could happen.

The plan is to detonate the hydrogen bomb at or near the Swan construction site to negate the sudden and violent burst of electromagnetic energy that is released when the drilling begins.

Negate: (verb) to nullify or cause to be ineffective

Dan's plan is to render the electromagnetic energy burst ineffective.

Of course, now that Dan is dead, we have a slight, itsy-bitsy problem. Jack, Eloise, Richard, nor Sayid have a clue how to detonate the bomb, nor do they know when the drilling at the Swan site is supposed to start. This left me wondering.

Remember when Miles drove Dan to the Orchid? Daniel checked his watch, then consulted his journal. Written in the journal are key dates and times. I am assuming that Dan, indeed all of the survivors, have been experiencing the time loops over and over again, each time learning a little bit more information that will help them to stop the cycle. Daniel has written in his journal the time Radzinsky's drilling hits the pocket of energy, thus telling Jack when the bomb needs to be detonated.

What? Two explosions of out of this world energy? At the same time?

Yes. If positioned properly, and detonated at just the precise moment, both blasts can neutralize each other. Either that or the island is blown to smithereens and, blip, it's all over. But consider this. A synonym for neutralize is cancel. Each blast cancels the other, and we have a less destructive effect.

Now, let's get back to the variables I mentioned earlier. People. We have a scenario that seems to be overlooked. Remember that I posted earlier that Sawyer drew a map to the Hostiles in exchange for an exiting trip on the Galaga? This is where things change from other times the scenario was played out in the previous loops. What if Radzinsky decides to mount an attack on the Others, disguised as a rescue attempt to retrieve young Ben?

Radzinsky instructs his crew to start drilling, despite Chang's warning. Jack and the others detonate the bomb according to Daniel's instructions. But, with an other than expected result. Perhaps Chang tries to stop the drilling and loses his arm, which causes a delay, the bomb explodes and then the burst of energy is released. I just don't know at this point in the game and, as each minute passes that brings us closer to the finale, my mind is working over time.

But I know that, to me, Radzinsky appears confrontational, angry and aggressive. He has always appeared to me like this. I'm not even sure how he was ever deemed Dharma material if these are the only traits he displays. Dharma has guns, yes, but I think they were purely defensive. We have never seen Dharma be on the offensive, just the defensive. They want world peace. Which is why I have such a problem with Radzinsky's character.

It's not a perfect theory, and I haven't figured out all the minute details, but it could happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment