Friday, April 17, 2009

The More I Think About It.........

......The more I am convinced that the third faction of the upcoming war on the island is a newly restructured Dharma Initiative. Jay over at Mistaking Coincidence for Fate has suggested as much and so has Frakkin Toaster over at Second Exodus.

A DI that is determined to reclaim the island, rebuild it's stations and return to the business of finding a way to change the Valenzetti Equation, which was one of their main purposes in the beginning (according to lostpedia).



Illana and Bram, I believe, are working for the new Dharma Initiative. By the way, I think the new DI no longer espouses on about that 70's principal of peace, love and joy, as evidenced by the way Illana rifle punches poor Frank (you will pay for that Illana). In the same vein, though, I don't think they use violence gratuitously either. Unlike Ben and Widmore, whereby winning must come no matter the cost to innocents alike (read Alex, Karl, Danielle) their main purpose remains as close to the original conception as possible.



Eloise Hawking, in my opinion, is working with the new DI as well. I'm basing this assertion on the fact that she's been working in the Lamp Post for several years (as stated by Widmore) and pin pointing the next place where the island will emerge. I can not believe that her work was merely to make sure the O5 are able to make their return. Let's take a closer look, shall we?


  1. Eloise Hawking course corrected Desmond to the island in his flashes so he could push the button and save the world. I'm not sure if it was fated, as in meant to be, or if it was because the DI needed Desmond there.
  2. Also, how did Illana and Bram (and the rest of their group) know to take Ajira Flight 316 if she didn't give it to them?
  3. The food drops. Since Ben wasn't aware of them or the Swan's existence(as team Darlton have assured us) then the DI had to be continuing them in order to ensure their button pusher didn't starve to death. Therefore, not all the DI off island were killed when the purge took place and the Hostiles were not aware of every station. There was a reason why they had to maintain the Swan, see electromagnetism, and Eloise's work helped to located the island for the drops.
  4. Eloise has been conspicuously absent from the island since at least 1977 and into the 90's, when Chuckie boy is exiled. I'm not sure why, but I just know it has something to do with Daniel.

Speaking of Daniel, I think the first time he arrives on the island is on the Kahana, simply because his nose didn't bleed during the flashes through time. Only those who had been on the island for any amount of time prior to the turning of the wheel suffered from the nose bleeds. Yes, I am aware that Widmore funded Daniel's research on time travel and is paying for Teresa's medical care, I just haven't managed a realistic explanation for it. Unless, as some have suggested, Chuckie spawned Daniel with Ellie (if so, that makes him a two timing cheat.)

There are some great arguments out there, but I can see that many of us are leaning toward a new Dharma Initiative. It makes perfect sense, really.

I'm not finished working this through, but let me know what you think so far. If you have any ideas, or have found the many Swiss cheese holes I'm sure are there, again, let me know.

Namaste

Arcticroses.

4 comments:

  1. Well, my first thought is that Eloise may just be on the Island in 1977. When Kate brought the injured young Ben to Richard, one of the Others asked Richard what Ellie would say, or what Charles would say. I've always assumed that the Ellie we saw with the Others in 1954 is Eloise Hawking, but that's not really confirmed. If they are the same person, we do not know when she left the Island.

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, the food drops trouble me. I remember reading somewhere, probably Lostpedia, that the drops would be made in perpetuity, meaning forever. I think that the Others would have had to wipe out Dharma off-island as well, otherwise they would have come looking. Once Dharma was wiped out on and off the Island, they would have no means to find the Island again, until they found out about flight 316. I'm not convinced that Eloise is working with Dharma, simply because Ben and Widmore both thought it was important that the O5 go back, and Eloise made it possible.If it is shaping up as Dharma vs. the Others, Eloise has to be with the Others, or she would not have told the O5 about Ajira 316, right?

    Maybe the food drops are somehow automated... check out Lostpedia--the theory page for "Periodic Resupply Drop" has some great ideas for how this could be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your thoughts. I really appreciate the opportunity to interact with other LOST fans (it's so lonely in a house where it is only I who loves the show).
    The fact that Ellie of 1954 has not been proven to be Eloise Hawking has been a sticking point for me. As well, there is the writers' predilection to use a name multiple times (Dave, David, Charlotte, etc.) I took a leap of faith on Eloise Hawking being the same Ellie we met in 1954. While there is very little concrete evidence that she is working for the DI, I'm guessing she is, based on the fact that the Lamp Post was unknown to Ben until John Locke gave over that information. But, I could very well be incorrect.
    Thanks for pointing out the Lostpedia page. I missed that one! The food drops could be automated and I could be horribly wrong on that as well. My theory on the food drops hinges heavily on the fact the not all the DI people off island were killed and the drops were put into practice because the electromagnetic pulse was regulated, thus demonstrating to the DI that someone was indeed pushing the button. Though they had no idea if it were one of their own people or a Hostile, the food drops continued as a precautionary measure to avoid a catastophic failure (such as the implosion.)
    But then, I could be off an a Hurleyesque tangent here. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, Eloise Hawking could have given the island's coordinate information to Charles Widmore as well. Ha ha, now I am wondering about my own assertions! When Desmond went to Widmore's office to find Mrs. Hawking, Charles made it seem as if they were not on the best of terms, not even talking for years, so I assumed she could be working for a third party. She could even be the third party at this point, and I did consider as much, but decided her desire to return to the island wasn't as consuming as Widmore's.

    ReplyDelete