Saturday, March 7, 2009

LaFleur Drives a Blue Jeep!








LaFleur happens to rank among one of my all time favorite episodes of LOST. Not because we may have had a glimpse of the four -toed foot in it's entirety, and that has generated a whole landslide of debate in itself, but because LaFleur drives a Powder Blue Jeep.





Notice, if you will, the rest of the Dharma minions get to drive VW-like micro-buses, complete with 8-track tape decks. Same Dharma blue colour, but there's something about a Jeep that's ruggedly sexy. It says, I can go anywhere, do anything I please, and I'm cool. I drive a blue Jeep, that's how I know.




But my blue Jeep isn't powder blue. That's just not cool. Maybe way back in the mid-seventies it was, but not any longer. I'm not even sure that Powder Blue was cool back then. I was way too young to care about cool car colours. Besides, until last September I drove a purple car, so who am I to judge the powder blue thing?


The fact that Sawyer drives a different type of vehicle speaks volumes about how he and his crew have insinuated themselves into the Dharma camp. Just moments earlier (three years in their time) Horace Goodspeed was booting them off the island on the next available submarine to Tahiti. Speaking of submarines, perhaps Dharma should do something about the regularity of the sub service in their area, you know, to increase ridership? Anyway, Sawyer, as LaFleur, meanders outside and has a little chat with the ever ageless Richard Alpert and next thing we know, Sawyer's running security for the organization and bossing Radzinsky around. Remember who Radzinsky is, don't you? He was the guy who blew his head off in the Swan? I get the feeling we're going to see more of him and, hopefully, we'll find out what made him blow his top off.
By-the-way, I loved the shout-out to the audience with the eye-liner line. It's nice to know that the writers are paying as much attention to us as we are to them. Yes, yes, I am well aware that Nestor Carbonell does NOT wear eye liner and those are his natural lashes, but come on! Why is it that men are always born with the beautiful lashes that most women would kill for? Psst, mine are invisible! My cross to bear for being a natural born red head. Sigh.
It was nice to see Jin has survived and integrated into Dharma society. After working for old man Paik and doing the dirty work, he must have happily absorbed the almost peaceful atmosphere of island life. Does he miss Sun? Has he found someone to love? Is he friends with Miles yet? Perhaps they share a cottage on the edge of Otherville, living like bachelors.
I'm not terribly fond of Miles.....yet. There's still something, and I can't seem to pinpoint it, that bothers me about him. And it has nothing to do with how he cheated the grieving mother the very first time we met him, either. Not even the fact that he was willing to betray his employer, Charles Widmore, and spare Ben in exchange for 3.2 millions dollars. If anyone else has the same problem, let me know.


We didn't see much of Daniel Faraday this time around. Just in the beginning of the episode and again when he spotted the presumably very young Charlotte. Charlotte, like any woman, has been hiding her real age. Shame on her! According to Ben, she was born in 1979, but we see her as a child of approximately 3 years of age in 1974!

Next week is a repeat of this week's episode, but I can't wait until the 17th. Namaste will show us when and where Sun, Frank and Ben are. We will also see how Jack, Hurley and Kate are introduced to Dharma and what their appointed tasks will be.
So far, season five is as intriguing as season one, when it all started. If you're like me, Wednesday nights don't come fast enough, and then they pass us by way too fast. As I learn about this blogging, I'm sure my pages will become more sophisticated and grow more interesting.
Until next week.



No comments:

Post a Comment