Friday, March 27, 2009

He's Our You...

As soon as this episode opened I recognized the similarities between Sayid's childhood and Eko's. Both made sacrifices in the names of their brothers and both men have paid an immense price for their brotherly love. Ultimately, though, I don't believe Sayid was a born killer as inferred by the opening flashback scenes of He's Our You.

And now we have proof of Ben's Machiavellian machinations (yes, yes big words but I couldn't think of anything smaller). Never in the history of LOST have I been more convinced that Ben is pure evil, and by the looks of his abusive father, Ben was destined to be a natural born murderer-by-proxy. The scene in Russia when Ben tells Sayid that he is free, his mission is accomplished, then berates him for asking who's next me into a tail spin. I am also convinced that both Elsa and Illana were working unknowingly for Ben. I find it difficult to believe that Sayid could freely roam the world if authorities knew it was he who had coldblooded murdered Mr. Avellino in the Seychelles, let alone build houses for a charity. I think Ben was the Economist to Elsa and claimed to be an Avellino family member when he hired Illana to bring Sayid to Guam. Think about it, people. The only other person who knew for sure who killed Mr. Avellino is Ben, indeed, it was he who ordered the assassination.

I hate to say it, but I expected more from Oldham, the Dharma version of a professional torturer, than "truth serum on a sugar cube" and shackles to a tree. Chills ran down my spine when LaFleur's response to Sayid's query basically alluded to Oldham being a torturer. I was looking for bamboo shoots and hot oil and electric cattle prods! However, considering the "Peace and Love" philosophies of Dharma, it was the worst he could do, I guess. In my view, Oldham, is no more a contemporary of Sayid's than a poodle dipped in chocolate.



I'm convinced that Inman kills Radzinsky just to shut him up in the future. That man is so annoying! Dharma big wigs probably quarantined him to the Swan in order to find some peace and quiet from his constant paranoia!



I was disappointed that Horace didn't react to Sayid's warnings of pending Dharma doom, but I think he may have tucked that little tidbit away for later consumption. If Horace is truly the On Island Dharma leader he must be aware of the time travel properties of the Orchid and possibly he may even know who LaFleur and his people really are. I just not buying Horace as a leader. He's a mathematician for Jacob's sake!

How could Kate not have realized that Sawyer and Juliet were living together? She's been off island for three years and went on with her life and was engaged to Jack, so why couldn't she see that Sawyer went on with his life? Personally I can take the love stories or leave them, but this quadrangle is getting tiresome and I truly hope that Sawyer realizes that what he has with Juliet is the real thing and doesn't blow it. When she first appeared on the LOST scene I didn't like, nor trust Juliet's character. Yet, as the story is unfolding I am growing to not only like her, but hope good things for her.



Speaking of which, I'm sure I am not the only one who believes that Sawyer had no intention of leaving Dharmaville of his own volition. He'd built a respectable life of comfort there where people trusted him. These people were his friends and colleagues. He has lived among them longer than the three months he had spent as a survivor of Oceanic 815. I'm sure he is resenting the unexpected arrival of Jack and company.



This was a Sayid centric episode, and we learn how Ben used his despair and need to avenge Nadia's murder and created a killing machine. We see how Sayid spent three years believing he was protecting his fellow Oceanic 6's and those left behind on the island, only to realize that Ben has been leading him on with load of **ll**it so thick that the residual odor with last a lifetime. It must have taken every iota of strength Sayid had not to wrap his fingers around Ben's neck and squeeze the life out of him at the pier.



I have a theory about Nadia's death. Ben did it. Okay, I'm sure you're thinking I'm an idiot for stating the obvious, but it's Ben's motivations that interest me. Nadia was an obstacle that Ben could not overcome. Sayid would not leave his wife, specially one he had spent years searching for, to return to an island that represented even more loss and heartache. I know what I'd choose. Ben did the only thing he thought he could. He had Nadia killed and gave Sayid a job to do until the island was ready for their return.

Even knowing Sayid's self loathing, and his intense hatred from Ben, even the young version, I did not expect him to turn Jin's gun onto Ben. It was such a shock that I had one of those "oh-no-he-didn't" moments and gasped so loud that my Border Collie was in my face so fast that it took me a few minutes to catch my breath!

Is young Ben going to survive? I believe so. The instant Sayid shot Ben and the boy fell to the road, things would have changed. I'm not subscribing to the What's Happened Happened philosophy spouted by Faraday, either. If young Ben dies, all that he has done in the future becomes null and disappears into non-existence. It's really very simple to grasp just so long as you ignore the complicated mambo-jumbo and accept certain itty bitty details as canon.

The flaming runaway Dharma van and resulting fire left the building looking rather like the one we saw when Sun and Frank entered Dharmaville and met Christian, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment