Saturday, June 13, 2009

Jeff Dunham is Jacob!






Well, not really, but this guy is the funniest comedian I have seen in ages. My daughter and I had the good fortune to catch his show last night in Kelowna. It was the first of our series of day trips to fill the summer holidays. Unfortunately, she's not quite finished school until June 25th, so she played hooky with me. Anyway, we had seats on the floor and an excellent view, yet we found our eyes glued to the giant screen above the stage. Talk about "Larger Than Life!" I had left my camera in the hotel because I didn't realize I could take photos during the performance. I'm really kicking myself.

Jeff's first puppet was, of course, Walter. I love this character and he reminds me of my own sometimes curmudgeonly father. They both seem to voice the same opinion of marriage, although I know they both really love their wives. Walter has an old man's opinion on everything, only with a twist that makes us all realize that we take life too seriously.


According to his puppet Peanut (my favorite of the puppets) he plays with dolls. Peanut, if you haven't met him, reminds me of a teenager with a skewed view on life. Sometimes my daughter tells me that Peanut reminds her of me. I'm not sure if it's a compliment, but I'm starving for compliments from her so I'm taking it as such. Often times, I think of my daughter when I hear a priceless pearl of wisdom from Jeff Dunham and Peanut. Maybe when I refer to my daughter as my clone isn't as far fetched as I thought.



The show wasn't exactly "family friendly" and contained some cursing and references to drugs and sex, but most of the kids attending were either old enough to shock Mom and Dad with their laughter, or too young to understand. By the way, I was surprised by just how many young people made up the audience. I only hope their parents have had the "what's appropriate and not appropriate in mixed company" chat that I had with my daughter.



Achmed is my daughter's and father's favorite puppet. He's a failed suicide bomber that believes he's suffering from a flesh wound. I am fascinated by his eye brows as they wiggle. I can't help it. His eyes dart back and forth and those brows wriggle up and down and I can't seem to stop myself from giggling. His signature "Silence, I keel you!" elicited many laughs. I had tears in my eyes as he described his first date with a girl on a camel.




Brian "Guitar Guy" Hener, opened the show (which started late) and had the sold out crowd at Prospera Place almost rolling in the aisles! I'm not sure if he writes his own stuff, but he was great. If the merchandise booth had taken credit cards I would have bought his CD (and one each of the talking Peanut and Achmed dolls). He's a guy who's been enjoying an overnight success that's taken thirty years to achieve. He'll tell you about his son who became a real rock star in just nine months. No, he's not bitter (I'm nodding my head here). He'll also tell you about his twelve year old daughter and her attitude, to which I truly can relate having my own twelve year old daughter, and his lovely understanding wife. She must be a saint.


The show ran an hour later than scheduled and we had the added treat of seeing Bubba J. As we walked out of Prospera Place our sides ached, our rear ends were numb from the seriously uncomfortable chairs and we couldn't stop giggling for the entire walk back to the hotel.



Thanks to my mother's generous donation of her Air Miles, my daughter and I stayed at the Delta Grand Okanogan Hotel. An apparent 4 1/2 star resort that is situated on the waterfront of Kelowna's Lake Okanogan, and conveniently across from Propsera Place, we thought it would be the best place for us.


Although it was a lovely hotel, everything was high end from the lush lobby area right down to the valet parking, I was somewhat disappointed. I must have had outrageously high expectations for a resort that charges $400 per night for a room, because I certainly didn't expect to be charged $12.00 a day to park my Jeep in their parkade! Nor was I expecting to have to pay $3.99 per hour for internet services!
I'm glad I took my own shampoo and body lotion because I wonder what they would have charged me for using those itty bitty bottles they had in the bathroom (which I packed and brought home anyway). In my opinion, the Delta Grand is far too fancy for me and not kid friendly. And the bathroom door was a pocket door that grated every time it was opened or closed.
There were two pools. One completely outdoors and the other half in half out. I enjoyed the pools, but my daughter found them boring. No water slide, which was not the icing on the cake for her. She certainly will not be recommending this Hotel anytime soon and neither will I. I learned that we are not resort people. Give me the Best Western or Holiday Inn Express any day.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't seen him in person, but I've caught him on TV, and I agree that he is hilarious. If you like ventriloquists, you may enjoy the movie Dummy, starring Adrien Brody and Milla Jovovich...it's a feel-good movie without being cheap or cheesy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'll have to check that one out. I've seen some pretty cheesy and stupid "dummy" movies about ventriloquists and tend to stay away from them. They're usually some horro flick about the dummy coming to life and killing everyone. Not my cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete