Friday, April 16, 2010

EVERYBODY LOVES HUGO

Yet another mysterious boy appears on the island. This one is bigger, possibly older and has dark hair. The smile is ominous. Who could he be? And why is Smocke suddenly ignoring the boys? What's Desmond in "What if" time up to and why did he run over wheelchair bound John Locke? Does Desmond have a consciousness connection between the two times? And how about Hurley asserting himself with Richard. I have never seen Richard so "panicky" before and I have a bad feeling about it. But, let's start with my thoughts on the "What If" time, shall we?
2004 "What If"

Hugo Reyes is a saint. Check it out! ^ That's Nunu, Jorge Garcia's real dog making a cameo appearance up there! Okay, back to Hugo. Unlike his previous 2004 self, Hugo can't seem to do anything wrong. His Mr. Cluck's Chicken franchises are growing in leaps and bounds and going places very few other American fast food restaurants get to go. His philanthropy is massive and demonstrates what we all knew from that very first we met him.....Hurley's got the most generous heart on the planet and he genuinely loves to help others less fortunate than he.

But there is one thing that "What If" Hugo has in common with our original lovable Hurley and it's soon to be rectified when Libby approaches poor stood up Hugo at Spanish Johnny's and tells him about being so connected, like "soulmates". Unfortunately, the good Dr. Brooks comes along and bursts Hugo's bubble by taking Libby back to the Santa Rosa Mental Hospital van!

You know, after being stood up by Rosalita (Grandpa Tito's neighbour's daughter) and then meeting a cracked nut like Libby, you'd think Hugo would give up, but we all deal with depression in our own way. Some people drink themselves into oblivion. Others bury their heads in denial. And still others eat. And eat. And eat. Hugo falls into that category and meets Desmond (not accidental, by the way) at one of his Mr. Cluck's locations and if found eating a family size bucket of chicken. He's depressed. The woman of his dreams is "full on nuts" and insists that the know each other.

Tangent!

Is it just me, or does Desmond remind you of John Locke aka Jeremy Bentham, trying to get the Oceanic Six to agree to return to the island? All Desmond has to do, it would appear, is find a way to make the Oceanic Six "remember" their other world and wait for things to happen.
Back to Hugo's "What If" life.

Something Desmond convinces Hugo to give Libby a chance and so Hugo buys his way in to see Libby at the mental hospital. Hugo and Libby chat, and make a date. Libby checked herself in to the hospital, so she can leave any time she wants. They have a date on the beach (this time Hugo remembered the blanket), they talk about Libby's bizarro alternate universe. They kiss and...WHOOSH...Hugo sees flashes and remembers as well.



From a distance Desmond watches, smiles and drives away. He has other passengers to deal with and John Locke is next on his "to do" list. And man does he "take care of" Locke! I'm wondering if Desmond has a "special" connection to the other "time" because the timing of him running down Locke coincided with Smocke tossing him down the well in 2007. I couldn't help but think "tit for tat" on that one. My daughter, however, has decided that running over a man in a wheelchair (even one who in another time has allowed himself to become a "zombie" of his former self) is just plain wrong and appears to have lost any and all respect for Desmond.

The reason why I feel that "What If" Desmond has a special consciousness connection to his other self is simple. As far as he knows, John Locke is dead in the other time and, logic thinking tells me that there is no way that he would know about MIB taking John Locke's form. There really is no reason for "What If" Desmond to want to harm John Locke.....unless he knew something that no one else did. He has to know that, in the other world, John Locke's machinations lead to disaster for all of them.


2007 "Original" Time

Hurley talks with Libby in this time line as well. My heart was breaking for him as he knelt by her grave, put a fresh flower against her cross and told her how he wished she would come to him the same way as other "dead" people have so they could talk. I have often wondered, aside from the actress not being available *wink wink*, why Libby's essence has never visited Hurley like Charlie, Ana Lucia and other dead people have. I can only assume that she was able to "move on," unlike Michael, Charlie and Ana Lucia. I think she always was a "good" person who had done no harm to anyone (and she did give Desmond the boat so he could regain his honour, right?). That's gotta account for a lot, I think.

Michael's spirit shows up and tells Hurley that blowing up the plane is the wrong thing to do. A whole lot of people will get killed and it will be Hurley's fault because people are listening to him now. I don't think that really was Michael's spirit and I believe that was Smocke using Michael's "appearance" to direct Hurley. I'll get to why later.

Ilana and Richard's plan to blow up the plane on Hydra island is moving ahead, and Ilana visits the Black Rock to get her supplies. I'm sorry, but Richard is a useless twit and SHOULD have insisted on going to collect the glycerin sticks. After all, HE CAN'T KILL HIMSELF SO THE DYNAMITE WILL NOT GO BOOM! I was not expecting her to blast herself into bits and pieces. Am I a sick person for waiting for Hurley to say "Dude, you've got some Ilana on you"? And, am I a sick person for being disappointed when I did not hear it?

I know, I AM a sick person in a twisted sort of way.

While everyone commiserates about what to do now, Hurley looks at Ilana's things and opens the bag containing Jacob's ashes. There has been debate about exactly what was in that bag. Some say it was the diamonds, others think it was something else. I really think it was Jacob's ashes, and seeing the ashes reminds Hurley of Michael's words. He doesn't want to be the one who causes even more people to be killed (do you think he's feeling guilty about the deaths at the temple?). He makes a decision.

Richard decides they need to get more dynamite and takes everyone to the Black Rock and, surprisingly, Hurley backs him up. They all trek to the Black Rock and suddenly Richard decides that he's the only one who can handle the dynamite. A little late on that one, aren't you guyliner dude? Sheesh, he waits for Ilana to self destruct before he realizes he can't kill himself and should be the only one to handle the "temperamental" boom boom sticks? Ha! Just how did Hurley beat them all to the Black Rock? How did the group not notice he wasn't with them? Nice work keeping track of everyone, Richard. I'm blaming Richard because he was leading that particular expedition and protecting the "candidates" would now fall onto his shoulder as a "prophet of Jacob".
I didn't expect Hurley to totally destroy the ship. Really! I just didn't think about what he would do to stop Richard from blowing up that Ajira Airlines plane. I half expected that when Hurley suddenly conceded that they needed to get more dynamite, he was told by Jacob's ashes that they needed to follow this line of attack. Either that or, like a Genie in a bottle, Hurley caught Jacob taking a bubble bath in the bottom of that little grey sack. Which leads me to my earlier thought about Michael.

Let me explain. In my mind, I can only think of one character on that island who absolutely needs that airplane intact, who's very freedom depends upon the plane not being destroyed. Everyone else on the island either wants to live there or already has a way to get back home. Think about this. The Oceanic Six returned to the island fully aware that it was highly probable that they would never leave. Ben DID tell Jack as much. Rose and Bernard happily retired to their secluded cabin with Vincent as their loyal pet.

Now I being you to another reason why I think the spirit of Michael wasn't really him. Smocke told Kate and Sawyer that they were "waiting" for the arrival of Jack, Hurley, and Sun. He KNEW they were coming because he orchestrated it using Michael's spirit. And before you call me mental, I just ask that you think about this for a moment. A lot of it makes sense. MIB needs every one of the Oceanic Six to be on that plane together in much the same way they returned to the island. Something tells me that once the plane is airborne and out of the Island's influence, and he doesn't need them any longer, their lives will end. He did hint at something like that to Claire in Sundown. I'll wait while you go look.

Do you see where I'm going with this? The only person who desperately does not want that plane destroyed is Smocke/MIB/Fake Locke. I could be so wrong on this (and probably am) but the more I think about this one point the more I am convinced.

Once Hurley blows the Black Rock, the beach group divides again. Hurley asserts himself a little stronger this time when Richard "tests" him. Jacob has never directly told anyone what to do, allowing them to make their own choices (and we see where that is getting them, don't we?). Richard, Ben and Miles decide to take their quest for explosives to the Barracks where Ben assures them that there's a cache still there. I wondered how Ben would know that after being gone from the island for three years, but whatever. Ben probably has the guns and grenades well and truly hidden under the floorboards like Sawyer hid his show box.


Which leaves us with Hurley, Jack, Sun and Frank trekking off to find Locke's camp and talk to him. Exactly what they are going to say, I haven't a clue, but I'm sure Hurley will think of something. I really liked Jack's explanation to Hurley why he agreed to follow him into the camp of the enemy. Jack is allowing his faith in Hurley, and Jacob, to point them in the right direction and, in a major way, help him to atone for Juliet's death. He doesn't realize that exploding Jughead has caused a reset.

But before we get to that meeting in the dark between Smocke and Hurley, let's talk about poor Desmond. One of the reasons I think Desmond has a link to the other time is the fact that he calmly allowed Smocke to lead him into the depths of the jungle and toss him into the well. The Desmond we know would not have permitted that, and he would have tried to escape no matter what. Sure, he told Smocke that he thought he was talking to John Locke. Sure he can tell him that there's no where to run. But the fact remains. The Desmond we know and love was done with the island and would have been the first one on that plane waiting for Frank to power up the engines to get them all out of there.

Why would Desmond let these things happen to him? Because he knows that, in the other life, everyone he cares about from the island will survive and be happy. Does this mean that the resolution of the island problems will leave them in the other time? I'm not sure...yet. The convergence has begun and will continue until each of the Oceanic Six in the "What If" time are in possession of the "memories." Then, and only then, will we see which time will be left to carry on, if any.

So, Hurley walks out of the jungle into Smocke's camp. Surprise! Okay, the only one not surprised by the emergence of this group was Smocke. Again, he knew they were coming because he pointed the way. Hurley says they need to talk, but the others with him are worried that Smocke will hurt them and needs a promise that that will not happen. I am skeptical that Smocke will not hurt them, yet positive they are safe until the plane takes off.

Am I the only one who thinks Hurley has a plan and that he will out maneuver Smocke? Or maybe I'm just hopeful.

Speaking of hopeful, many viewers have jumped to the conclusion that the island is purgatory as a result of the revelation that the whispers were those who have dies but are unable to move on. Here is what a friend has said about that. I admit to agreeing with her.

"My inital thought was that Michael was another manifestation of Smokey. But then the whole thing about the whispers. I had thought from long ago that the whispers were the collective consciousness of those that had died on the island. I didn't think of it in terms of Purgatory. Rather that - when we die .. the energy of our bodies (electric) has to go somewhere. Some would call it a soul. Others would say it is just energy. That energy leaves our body (recently been scientifically proven) .. some believe the energy goes to Heaven/hell- all religions have their own twist on death .. I say it has to go somewhere - personally I think we return to our Higher Power. On Lost perhaps .. those who have died on or within the perimeter of the island are contained similar to the containment of the Electromagnetic Energy. I dont think they are being judged .. but yes they are 'trapped' there .. until the energy is released.

I also think there are clues .. in the conversation between Locke and Jack in Alternate U .. when Locke says .. you don't really lose people .they are always with you. And the fact that the Others burned the bodies of the their deceased and floated them out to sea. It kind of reminded me of Hinduism .. but I think it was significant.

To which someone asked: How can it be explained that Sawyer heard the whispers of the man he killed in Australia repeating "It will come back around"

My only thoughts on that would be that the collective consciousness that exists on the island and really anywhere in the universe allows one to hear those things .. particularly things from our past that 'haunt' us. A statement like "It'll come back around" could have multiple meanings to multiple people .. Kind of like "What comes around goes around" .. I've heard that many times in all kinds of context throughout my life. If I were to hear that phrase it would jar certain, specific memories though where I have placed the most meaning to the phrase. perhaps that is what Sawyer experienced. We (the viewers) were allowed to hear it so we could relate it to a specific memory and know that it was coming from a specific incident from a person deemed deceased. I do think that the energy that encapsulates one's body merges with the energy of those around you .. Hippy terms .. You give off a good vice or a bad vibe .. your aura .. Our energies are intertwined once we meet. That's all I got for now. May have to rewatch."


May have to rewatch? MAY?

Just teasing. I agree with my friend about the whispers and the collective consciousness. What to you think?
DID YOU NOTICE?

Of course I'm so far behind everyone else, you've probably already noticed all of the following:

Jorge Garcia's famous dog Nunu made a cameo appearance.

The mysterious boy was older and had dark hair, this time smiling ominously and running away after Smocke ignored him.

Jin did not appear in this episode.

Hurley's mother is still trying to find a girl for him.

Desmond's order number was the number 42 and speaking of the number 4, Ilana blew herself to bits using 4 sticks of dynamite.

On the island, Smocke's eyes are two different colours. One is blue and the other is green.

The book that belonged to Ilana was called Notes From The Underground and was written by Fyddor Dostoyevsky (I think I spelled that right).

It's ironic that Smocke pushed Desmond into the well and Desmond runs over John Locke shortly after. Also ironic that Ben strangled John in the original time but tries to save him in the "what if" time.

QUOTABLE QUOTES

Hurley, to his mother after she tells him about his blind date: "What's she like?"
Carmen: "Willing to meet you.."
Hurley: "Ma!"

Ilana: "With that plane gone that thing won't be able to leave the island."
Hurley: "yeah....well neither will we and the we'll be stuck here with it and it will be angry at us!"

Locke, explaining to Kate why they aren't doing anything: "You were only able to come back to this island because you all did it together. If we're gonna get onthat plane and leave, it has to happen the same way. We're waiting for your friends to get here, Kate. Hugo, Sun, Jack. That's the only way we're ever getting off this Godforsaken rock"
Kate:" I don't see that happening."

Desmond's response to Hurley's assertion that his dream girl is crazy: "Well, all women are a little bit crazy, brother."

LIBBY: I wanna be with you because I like you.

HURLEY: Yeah but, you like me because...well...you're...delusional.


HURLEY: I don't know who you are, dude, or what you want, but we have to talk to you.

LOCKE: We?

HURLEY: There are other people with me. The thing is...you got weapons and we got weapons, and I don't want anyone to get hurt...or killed. So, we're not gonna do anything. I want your word that you're not gonna do anything either.

[Locke hands Hurley his knife.]



The following picture was taken by my daughter outside Chapter's Bookestore. I swear I saw a Dharma logo on the front and thought that Dmarma had a new model for their new island adventures.

I hope you enjoyed the read. On Tuesday we have The Last Recruit. Who could it be? Jack? Sun? Hurley? Frank? of Kate? Notice, she has yet to actually commit to Smocke's cause.

1 comment: